The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is a one-off payment from the WA government. It’s designed to help first home buyers purchase or build a principal place of residence. At $7000, it’s of great use for first home buyers.

Am I eligible?

There are a few key criteria that determine whether you’re likely to be eligible. To get the grant, you’ll need to be:

These are just a few of the criteria – see the Department of Finance’s website for a First Home Owner Grant fact sheet with the full eligibility criteria.

The First Home Owner grant is not available for:

How can I apply?

Applications for the grant can be made once a contract to buy or build has been signed and dated by all parties to the contract.

To apply for the grant, you’ll need to lodge an application form to the Office of State Revenue. You can either:

  1. Fill out the application form from and lodge in with the Office of State Revenue yourself, or
  2. Have your lender (provided they are an Approved Agent) process the grant application as part of the loan process

Your lender will often take care of the application for you.

For more information on the First Home Owner’s Grant, see the the Department of Finance‘s website.

Image by Calotype46 via Flickr.

[info_box]Since this post was written, the state government announced changes to the First Home Owner Grant that came into effect on September 25, 2013. Read What you need to know about changes to the First Home Owner Grant for more info.[/info_box]


The WA State Government has since abolished the $3,000 grant for first home buyers purchasing an established property on or after 3rd October 2015. First home buyers who purchased a property prior to that date can still apply for the FHOG and related first home owner rate of duty for a period of 12 months after completion of the eligible contract.

On or after 3rd October 2015  purchasers of established homes will still be able to apply for the first home owner rate of duty if the value of the home is below the current threshold of $530,000.

The FHOG of up to $10,000 for ‘new’ homes will remain unchanged.

About the Author

Residential Settlements

We provide real estate settlement services throughout Western Australia. In addition, we complete Related Party Transfers, Family Transfers, Private Sales and other title related services.